Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Funny Thing Happened at the Zoo, and I Ain't Lyin'



The North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro is a popular, nearby destination for Greensboro residents and others in the area. I have a membership to the Zoo and have made frequent trips, myself. I thought I would share a story from a trip I made a few years back...

I was at the zoo once when a squirrel got into the lion enclosure. Unless it's feeding time, the lions are usually just lyin' (get it?) around and aren't the most exciting exhibit, but the presence of that squirrel made the lioness snap to attention! She jumped to her feet and started stalking the squirrel just like a housecat, and everyone in the crowd was transfixed with excitement and anticipation. You could see the tension in her hindquarters as she prepared to spring, and I thought we were all gonna see a "National Geographic moment", if you know what I mean.

Fortunately for the squirrel, there was a protective covering around the tree in the enclosure (probably to keep the big cats from scratching off all the bark), and the little guy got down inside that. As for the lioness, her prey, being out of sight, was soon out of mind, and she went back and flopped down beside her mate. Show's over folks! Move along...nothing to see here...

You can also find What's Good in Greensbroro? on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Whats-Good-in-Greensboro-848569635208317/ . See you there!


Image from Pixabay http://pixabay.com/en/lions-animal-male-female-lions-175934/


No comments:

Post a Comment